The History of the Lord's church in Sanger Texas

 

The end of 2013 brought us to the end of our mortgage on our new building.  The Roberts Room and garage are finished and being used daily. 2014 promises to be an exciting year with our mission trip to Huron South Dakota.  Attendance averages 300 per Sunday. John Payne is serving in his 15th year as minister, Mason Peebles serves as youth minister. Ronnie Beard, Jim Roberts, Kenneth Crouch, Jimmy Waggoner, Mitchell Smith, and Danny Holcomb serve as elders
 

 1903 - 1923

Before 1903 the church of Christ met in the Odd Fellow’s Hall, located in the upper story of a dry goods store in what is now referred to as the Wilfong building.



(circa 1905, photo courtesy of Lona Joyce Snellgrove)

 

In 1903 Mrs. Lona Howard donated a lot where the first church building was erected. This building served the congregation for more than twenty years. Records show that there were 21 members of the church at the time the building was completed. The elders at this time were John M. McClendon and B.R. Bentley(grandfather to our own Randy Bentley). Other charter members of the church were Mrs. John (Catherine) McClendon, Mrs. B.R. Bentley, and Mrs. Frank Thatcher. Deacons were S.M. Smith and Frank Daughtry.

The records show that A.W. Young held two Gospel meetings in 1904 at which time 7 people were baptized into Christ. In April of 1905, J.H. Lawson baptized 6 more people. In 1923 Billy Wolfrum moved to Sanger and preached for the church.


(circa 1924 - 2nd building)

 

1924 - 1962


In 1924, a two-story brick building was built to replace the frame building of 1903. The upper story consisted of two classrooms and the auditorium would seat 175 people. In the 1930’s Logan Buchanan served the congregation as their minister. It was at this time that the first bulletin was printed as well as the basement for the building completed to house additional classrooms.

In the 1940’s and 50’s the church was served by several ministers; some of whom were; W.S. Boyett, Selby Sanders, Wade Banowsky, Stanley Singelton, Bill Minnick, Noble Patterson, Doug Lawyer, and Marvin Porterfield.

 

1960 - 2003

 
In 1960 Frank England came to work with the church and by this time the church had outgrown the building. The building at 4thand Cherry (where Bargain Depot is now) was completed in 1963. In 1964 two additional classrooms were added to the educational wing of the building. In 1967, the Hillcrest West building was completed on Kathryn Lane and Sanger would have two congregations for the next 18 years.

In 1984 the Hillcrest West church of Christ and the 4th and Cherry Street church of Christ merged to form one congregation. The Bolivar church of Christ had closed its doors in 1981 and most of their members were worshiping at Hillcrest. The elders of the two Sanger congregations and a representative from the Bolivar congregation met on May 2, 1984 and agreed to form one congregation which would begin meeting on Sunday morning, May 20, 1984.
The decision to unite into one body was the result of the various combined assemblies, fellowships, and projects between the two congregations. The decision to form one congregation in Sanger was based primarily on the belief of both Elderships that the Lord’s work in Sanger could be conducted more effectively by one congregation. A strong church for future generations was the primary goal of the merger.

The church was served by seven elders; Wayne Dickens, Skinny Klein, John Lambert, Jim Roberts, Earl Ross, Jimmy Sebastian, and Venson Waggoner. Two deacons; Ronny Klein and Bill Mustin. Royce Frederick and Bob Glover served as ministers.

Approximately 150 assembled for Bible class and 182 for worship for the first combined service. The singing was led by Eddie Romines. Jim Roberts read from the 17th chapter of John and prayed that Christ’s prayer for unity would be realized in Sanger.

Bob Glover introduced the Elders and Deacons to the congregation. He challenged the congregation to follow, encourage, and pray for the leaders. Jimmy Sebastian spoke on “Enriching Christian Relationships.” Earl Ross addressed the topic of “We Be Brethren.” Royce Frederick spoke on “The Ingredients for Unity” from Ephesians 4: 1-6. The seven Elders presided over the communion service. Bob Glover spoke at the evening assembly on “Family of God.”

Preachers who have served the church in Sanger since 1960 include : S.J. Doggett, Lonnie Yarbrough, B.F. England, Earnest Lassater, N.L. Trice, Earnest McCoy, Hank Anderson, Ron Lowrance, Mickey Blake, Dan Carter, Ralph Godfrey, Doug Mowery, Tom Locklear, Tom Adams, John W. Smith, Bob Glover, Royce Frederick, Bill McClellan, Frank Maynard, Leonard Gray and our current minister John Payne.

 

2003 - Present

 

Once again God blessed Sanger with growth and in 2000 construction began on a new facility at 5th and Locust directly south of the 4th and Cherry building. The first worship service was held in October of 2003.